What Skills and Qualifications Do You Need for a Career in Cybersecurity?
Are you considering a career in cybersecurity? This is a fast-growing and in-demand field that needs more qualified employees. Organizations offer high median salaries and various job opportunities in different sectors, along with a challenging and fast-paced work environment. But before you pursue a career in this field, you have to be prepared!
Just like how a budding digital marketer will need to take an online digital marketing course and training, those going into cybersecurity will also need adequate skills and qualifications to begin their career path. Let’s take a look at the skills and qualifications you’ll need for a career in cybersecurity.
If you have a passion for cybersecurity, then you’re probably looking into pursuing a career in the field. If you’re beginning, then you must take a relevant degree subject. Here are some of the degree subjects to help you with your career path:
- Computer Science
- Network Engineering
- Networks and Security
- Forensic Computing
- Math, Physics, and other STEM subjects
If you’re already working in the sector, then you may want to consider taking additional cybersecurity qualifications to move forward with your career, like;
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner: Suitable for those starting out in their cybersecurity career, as you only require one year of experience. You must also have a comprehensive and updated knowledge of the skills and information required to thrive in the industry. There will be a three-hour exam when studying for this course.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional: This is a common qualification among information security specialists and is usually essential for career development in cybersecurity. One must possess at least four years of experience and be working as a consultant or managerial level.
- Certified Information Security Manager: This is a qualification for professionals with over five years of experience in the industry. It’s an excellent certification program to further careers.
Besides qualifications, one must also possess adequate skills to thrive in cybersecurity. Here are some of them that can help with your career:
- Problem-Solving: You must find creative ways to take on and address any challenges across various existing and emerging digital environments and technologies.
- Technical Aptitude: Because cybersecurity is a technology-focused field, you must be technologically savvy to perform daily activities at work. You’ll be facing tasks like troubleshooting, sending real-time security solutions, monitoring networks, and the like.
- Attention to Detail: You need to defend your organization against cyber breaches, so you must be very vigilant and detail-oriented to detect any risks or vulnerabilities efficiently.
- Communication: You will most likely work closely with employees from other positions and departments, which is why you need to learn how to properly communicate with them to explain any findings, concerns, and solutions. You must speak clearly and concisely about the strategies and policies implemented regarding cybersecurity, and convey technical information to those who have varying levels of technical comprehension.
Wrapping It Up
Build up the skills and qualifications mentioned above and you can get started with your career in cybersecurity successfully!